Digital Technology and Innovation in Real Estate
The acceleration of PropTech (digital technology in real estate) in the last decade has created enormous opportunities for entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and industry leaders. In this era of unprecedented technological advancements, the real estate sector has undergone a remarkable transformation. PropTech has evolved from being a mere buzzword to a topical phenomenon and the implications of this digital transformation extend beyond the industry's boundaries with the integration of digital technologies such as AI, IoT, blockchain, VR, AR, robotics and drones. There are currently approximately 8,000 active PropTech firms and between 2010 and 2021 an estimated $95 billion has been invested (Unissu, 2022). Scholarly exploration into this area has, however, lagged, leaving critical gaps in our understanding of this rapidly evolving phenomenon.
This special issue sets out to bridge these gaps by presenting cutting-edge research that delves into the integration of digital technology and innovation across the real estate value chain. Spanning domains such as planning, land management, construction, facilities management, building maintenance, investment, valuation and brokerage, this edition aims to provide insights into the profound impacts of digital transformation on diverse areas of the real estate sector. The issue also aims to provide perspectives on the integration of digital technology in real estate educational pedagogy, spotlighting novel educational approaches that have been driven by emerging digital technologies, big data and advanced analytics.
List of topic areas
We welcome submissions focusing on the following themes, among others:
- The economics of digitisation and innovation in real estate
- Drivers and impacts of real estate digital technology and innovation
- Challenges and prospects of innovation and digitisation in the real estate sectors (residential, commercial and operational)
- Issues and prospects of digital technology in segments of the real estate value chain (such as planning, construction, building maintenance, valuation, investment, and brokerage)
- Digital tools (such as Artificial intelligence, Internet of things, virtual reality, robotics, drones and blockchain) and their impact on real estate
- PropTech and innovation in real estate education and research
We especially welcome empirical research that makes use of new and innovative data sources as well as theoretical research that uses cutting-edge methods.
Submissions are made using ScholarOne Manuscripts. Registration and access are available here.
Author guidelines must be strictly followed. Authors should select (from the drop-down menu) the special issue title at the appropriate step in the submission process, i.e. in response to "Please select the issue you are submitting to".
Submitted articles must not have been previously published, nor should they be under consideration for publication anywhere else, while under review for this journal.
Opening date for manuscripts submissions: 1st November, 2023
Closing date for manuscripts submission: 30th April, 2024